Sample Collection & Shipping Guidelines
Opti-Spot® Sample Collection
- Materials required
- Opti-Spot card (available from IDEXX BioAnalytics for no charge)
- Lancet or needle
- Sample labeling
- Label one Opti-Spot card with a unique identification number for each sample strip.
- Opti-Spot cards and strips
- The Opti-Spot cards are constructed with 5 individual strips separated by perforations. The strips are easily separated along the perforation lines for individual use.
- On each strip, a 1.0 cm2 circle is printed on the face of the Opti-Spot membrane as a guide. It is not necessary that the blood spot be centered within the circle.
- Opti-Spot sample collection
- Ante-mortem blood samples may be obtained by lancing the lateral saphenous, facial or the temporal vein. Touch the Opti-Spot membrane to blood drop as it forms on the surface of the skin.
- If the blood sample is taken by cardiocentesis, quickly dispense one drop of whole blood onto the Opti-Spot strip.
- The blood spot should be of sufficient size (approximately 1 cm2) to nearly fill the printed circle and be of sufficient volume to saturate the membrane. The blood spot will appear similar on both sides of the membrane.
- Allow the blood spot to dry for a minimum of one hour.
- Once dried, fold the protective upper tab over the blood spot and tuck under the lower tab.
- Sample Shipment
- It is important that the Opti-Spot strip is protected from moisture. Once dry, place Opti-Spot samples in a water-tight plastic bag containing the provided silica gel desiccant pack, and ship samples in a standard overnight envelope.
Ship samples to:
Have questions or need additional information?
Let's get you connected to an experienced account manager or customer support representative. Call 1-800-669-0825 or 1-573-499-5700, email email@example.com or fill out the form below.
Sample Collection Kit Request
Please use this form to request Opti-Spot® and Advantage sample collection kits: Opti-Spot® cards, swabs, tubes, or serum vials and diluent. Delivery takes 5-7 days. We suggest ordering supplies to cover 3 months’ worth of testing.
If you have questions about quantities or would like assistance determining items and quantities, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Animal Health Monitoring Online Submission Guide
A quick reference guide to Animal Health Monitoring sample submissions in our online portal.
To submit samples, please login to your account.
If you do not have an account, please fill out the new client registration form below, and our CSS team will assist in getting your account created.
Complete the below form to access our 2022 IDEXX BioAnalytics Directory of Services. Find product codes, profiles, panels and a complete list of research lab testing support services.