Sample Collection & Shipping Guidelines
Zebrafish and other laboratory fishes
- For submission of live fish for necropsy: Please ship live fish in clearly labeled heavy-duty plastic bladders or in doubled plastic bags, secured so that they will not leak and containing approximately 1/3 system water and 2/3 air. Fish should be shipped in insulated containers by overnight courier.
- For submission of fish for PCR only: Please submit frozen fish with sufficient ice packs to ensure that fish remain frozen during transit. Dry ice is not required.
- For submission of fish embryos or larvae for PCR: Please euthanize embryos and submit frozen on ice or cold packs. Dry ice is not required.
- For submission of fish for histopathology only: Please either submit fish fixed in 10% buffered formalin or another formalin-based fixative such as Dietrich’s, Davidson’s, or Bouin’s fixative (please indicate). To ensure proper fixation, open up the coelom (abdomen). This can be accomplished by making a lengthwise incision through the body wall or by removing a small piece of the body wall. Fish cannot be pooled for histopathology. Samples may be shipped at ambient temperatures by overnight courier.
Environmental samples and feeds
- For submission of detritus (biofilm or sediment) for PCR: Please collect 1 mL of detritus into a tube and submit frozen with cold packs. Dry ice is not required. Collection of detritus is recommended over environmental swabs.
- For submission of fish feces for PCR: Please collect a pool of fish feces into a microcentrifuge tube and submit frozen with cold packs. Dry ice is not required.
- For submission of live feed cultures for PCR: Please submit at least 1 mL of live feed cultures (e.g., Artemia, rotifer, or Paramecium) frozen with cold packs. Dry ice is not required.
Samples for bacterial or fungal culture
- For submission of culture swabs: Please submit culture swabs collected from skin, gills, or lesioned organs in a culturette containing a suitable transport medium, such as Amies Medium without charcoal. Swabs should be shipped with cold packs in an insulated container by overnight courier.
- For identification of bacterial and fungal cultures by MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry: Please submit cultures on agar plates wrapped in Parafilm®, or submit cultures on culture swabs with a suitable transport medium, such as Amies Medium without charcoal. Swabs and plates should be shipped with cold packs in an insulated container by overnight courier.
- For culture of water samples: Please submit 100 mL of water in a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid that will not leak in transit. Water samples should be shipped with cold packs in an insulated container by overnight courier.
Ship samples to:
Sample Collection Kit Request
Animal Health Monitoring Online Submission Guide
A quick reference guide to Animal Health Monitoring sample submissions in our online portal.
Aquatic diagnostics in action: a novel discovery in the Zebrafish
Through a collaborative effort, we discovered the first novel viral infection in zebrafish— "A highly divergent picornavirus infecting the gut epithelia of zebrafish (Danio rerio) in research institutions world wide."
To submit samples, please login to your account.
If you do not have an account, please fill out the new client registration form below, and our CSS team will assist in getting your account created.
Complete the below form to access our 2022 IDEXX BioAnalytics Directory of Services. Find product codes, profiles, panels and a complete list of research lab testing support services.